PPRD South Program 3
Prevent, Act, Mobilize
A framework of Euro-Mediterranean actions to better respond to disasters
Launched at the end of 2018, the PPRD South 3 programme supports the cooperation of national civil protection services. Objective: to better prepare for natural and man-made disasters in the countries around the southern Mediterranean.
Floods, fires, industrial or nuclear accidents… Amplified in particular by climate change, industrialization and urbanization, disaster risks know no borders. When such an event occurs, it is not uncommon for the reaction capacities of the country concerned to be rapidly saturated. The implementation of a joint and coordinated regional response, based on the pooling of prevention and intervention capacities with neighboring countries, can make a difference. This is the case in the European Union since 2001, through the Civil Protection Mechanism already activated more than 300 times to respond to crisis situations. Inspired by this model, the programme of prevention, preparedness and response to natural and man-made disasters, South Region, Phase 3 (PPRD South 3) is developing and setting up a Euro-Mediterranean system of prevention, disaster reduction and management.
CHIFFRES CLÉSKEY FIGURES
5 M €
Total project amount funded by DG NEAR under the ENI*
* European Neighborhood Instrument
of the PPRD South project, launched on 1 February 2018
duration of the programme
Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya*, Morocco, Palestine, Syria* and Tunisia
Building resilience and reducing the destructive effects of disasters
How to reduce the human, economic and environmental impact of disasters in the Mediterranean countries? The deployment of PPRD South 3 has three specific objectives:
- At the national level: develop prevention, risk reduction and emergency preparedness actions in the countries concerned, in partnership with all governmental actors and the civil society.
- At the Mediterranean Basin level: improve inter-state and regional cooperation and collaboration in order to provide a coordinated response when needed.
- Strengthen institutional cooperation between the EU Civil Protection Mechanism and the civil protection agencies of the Mediterranean partner countries.
“Every euro spent on disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness saves between 4 and 7 euros that would be spent in responding to a disaster.”
Civil protection at the heart of action
The PPRD South 3 project is implemented by the Peace, Stability and Security (P2S) Department of Expertise France, in association with Civipol Conseil and the International and Ibero-American Foundation for Administration and Public Policy (FIAAPP). On the ground, it is supported by joint action by the Spanish, French and Italian Directorates-General for Civil Protection.
It partners with ten countries around the southern Mediterranean, including Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya*, Morocco, Palestine, Syria and Tunisia, through the involvement of the relevant national civil protection teams. In these countries, as in the entire Mediterranean basin, the experience of past disasters has highlighted the need for a comprehensive approach to risk management. The PPRD South 3 programme aims to build a common response mechanism, deployed locally by the civil protection services of the partner countries. It results in the implementation of a set of preventive, preparatory and mobilization actions.
3 areas of intervention
In conjunction with the European Civil Protection Mechanism and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, the PPRD South 3 programme supports concrete actions focused on the knowledge and prevention of risks, disaster response and communication with populations.
Objective: to strengthen the capacity of partner countries to identify and prevent risks.
- Creation of a strategic regional network of experts to foster knowledge sharing (risks, prevention policies, etc.)
- Development of risk assessment and measurement tools
- Mapping common risks in the Mediterranean basin.
- Prepare the Response
Objective: to increase inter-institutional, sub-regional and regional cooperation in order to be able to intervene more quickly and effectively
- Preparation of civil protection experts in partner countries: training, large-scale simulation exercises, etc.
- Exchange of good practice
- Support for the gradual rapprochement of civil protection teams to the European Civil Protection Mechanism.
Goal: Save lives and improve communities’ ability to rebuild after a disaster
- Development of public awareness tools: exposure to risk, emergency procedures…
- Development of early warning tools
- Promotion of volunteering
- Involvement of populations in program activities (immersive videos, etc.)
* Project implementation is currently suspended in Libya and Syria.